Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Vegas without Poker

Two days in Vegas without poker takes a toll. If I see one more platinum blonde who's moronically enhanced her chest to DDD size I may lose it. Ditto for overweight poker slobs with stupid T-shirts and poor hygiene.

I really, really need to change my cellphone ringtone. The slot machines I pass every time I step out of the elevator sound just like it, discombobulating me momentarily every time.

Last night I went to PokerStars' party at The Palms' fancy new nightclub, Rain. John and I timed it perfectly, catching the contortionist Dita von Teese's sexy moves on a ring high above the dance floor. Other dancers on spotlit platforms gyrated madly with Vegas' patented bump 'n' grind thrusts--but all I wanted was to be back in my room finishing Vanity Fair's excellent article on Bear Stearns.

I've been eager to eat brunch at the Venetian's Bouchon for a long time. Twice in the past I've been there just as it closed with only a chocolate croissant for consolation. Today Rainbow and I agreed to meet there, but when I arrived it was closed for renovation. I joked that eating brunch at Bouchon was tougher than making the Final Table!

If all goes well, six 12-hour days of poker await me. So tonight I'll hit the sack early after watching a half-hour or so of the tournament, eating a light dinner, and doing a few review exercises on all-in calling odds.

Without a lot of chips, I'll probably be flying under the radar but you can get some tournament updates from either Card Player or the official World Series of Poker website.

No comments: