Thursday, July 10, 2008

On to day 3...with a boatload of chips!

Almost 3 am and we replay again at noon, with half the field fresh from a day off, so this may be brief. I rode a sick roller coaster for the last four hours of the day, losing 28,000 on the very first hand when I made what can only be called a speculative all-in re-raise of a very tight player who raised in the cut-off. He had K K. Oops! I chip my way back to $32,000 and order a massage from my masseuse from 10 days ago. Immediately, one of the old fishes min-raised to $2000 in the hijack and I smooth-called with 8 8. The big blind raised $5000 more, the old fish called, and I moved in for 25,000 more. The big blind folded, and the old fish hemmed and hawed and finally called with A K. I flop a set and am back to $70,000.
For the first time all tournament I shift into maniac mode and steal with 7 2 and 10 2 just because the situation calls for it. The kid on my right is a human card rack, re-raising me almost every time. The few hands he shows are legitimate, so I give him credit for a while. Finally, I feel I can no longer raise, so I limp on the button with K J. He raises to $6,000. I'm sick of it, so I re-raise to $20,000. He folds K J face up, so of course I show him the same hand.


We're all pretty ragged after 9 1/2 hours of play. I keep vowing to steal and re-steal more, but can't always pull the trigger. Usually, too, it would have worked. Finally, in the last 10 minutes I pick up A A and raise a limper to 5500. The small blind, min-raises to 11,000, signifying a really strong hand. Against most players, I would smooth call here, but he is a banana so I raise to $30,000. He moves in instantly and I call my remaining $45,000. He has K K, of course. If a King comes, I will be out of the tournament.................but the board is safe and I double up to $158,000. I was quite content to end the day at $75,000 so this is huge!

We are down to 1324 players out of the original 6844. The average stack is $103,000, so I am in great shape. Tomorrow should be fun. There's just one problem--I am totally wound up and celebrate 55 stories up at the Voodoo Lounge, where 30 mile an hour winds, 95 degree heat, and the best view in Vegas compliment my mood.

Time for sleep, let's hope a couple Tylenol PM can get the job done.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

very rarely comment on blogs, although I read a lot of them. Just wanted to say how much I enjoy reading yours - excellent stuff.

Unknown said...

Way to go - congrats on making it to day 3!

I was supposed to make the WSOP this year, but since the new family addition arrived last month, I am living this one vicariously through you.

Anonymous said...

Online poker bonus guide, Free startup $50 bankrolls for new players - all possible $50 bankrolls :)