Friday, July 11, 2008

Out!

487th, $25,000, out on the last hand of the night...the crippling blow came much earlier, when the first to act raised to $15,000 and I found myself with two Kings in the big blind. While I was contemplating what to do, he said "I'll give anyone who doubles me up one percent of my action." This obviously meant that he would call, so I moved in and he called with A K. At the time, I was about a 70% favorite, looing like a 91% favorite when the first four cards were J J 3 J. Unfortunately, an Ace came on the river and the dealer shoved the $225,000 pot to him. Ouch!

I had only $65,000 left, about one fourth of the average stack, but played it carefully and shrewdly and worked it up to $150,000 again. I then lost three successive coin flips,finally busting out on the very last hand of the night to the A K guy when I had 8 8 and he had A K again. Once I was out, everyone erupted in cheers, as they were all moving on to day 4. There were so many bustouts it was going to take a tortuous hour of standing in various lines to get paid. I wisely bolted, but now have to wait until they re-open at 1 pm.

There are no words to describe the sadness I feel, hopes and dreams crushed. A couple drinks, a late meal, and a sleeping pill are the best I can do. Tomorrow, perhaps, I will have some appreciation for my Vegas trips this year, which have now been not only a wild ride, but also a modest financial success.

A few memories from today: seeing Forest Griffin, who just won a huge upset Ultimate Fighting championship victory and played in the world series of poker with cuts on his face and a black eye. An attractive woman in a modern burkha (otherwise you couldn't tell) on the rail at the table next to me, reading the Koran out loud as she roots for her partner. Evelyn Ng and Shannon Elizabeth at the same table. A man who misread his A 4 as A A -- you can see from the typefont how they can easily be confused--and went all in for $90,000 against an opponent who had the real A A. "I have A A too," he said, and rolled over A 4. Ooops! No problem, the flop comes 4 4 4 and the A A is drawing completely dead.

My brother is fond of saying "That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger." I believe this will be true about my Vegas trip.

I just would have liked to have lasted a little while longer.

10 comments:

Nathan said...

Congrats on outlasting 93% of the field & making the money. Thanks for letting me ride shotgun.

I bet you might get that hero's welcome when you get home.

Cheers,

Nathan

Anonymous said...

More like the bums rush! "Do those chores!" she will say. But, for us on the sidelines this was a great ride being next to you. couple of weeks. I look forward to next years Lucky Scum adventures. And my own testicle squeeze this weekend.

Anonymous said...

you will have better luck next time, keep up the good mood!

Unknown said...

Thanks Jeff. Heartbreaker of a result, but you have a gift writing about this stuff. Was great riding along.

Anonymous said...

OUCH! The tournament has lost its bard. Thanks so much for taking us along with you on the ride. It is a ride. Look forward to the next one.
Bino

Anonymous said...

Jeff,

We were all sitting here talking about you. Your blog seems to have kept us on the edge of our seats...

Sad to hear you're out but as your 'brother' also said, shit happens.

Just like you, we all can't wait for next year's exciting new chapter.

You know you're our number one always...

Gotta run, Rick's making bacon.

Anonymous said...

Jeff, as Nathan said, you played against the best of the best and achieved a damned high percentile finish. Congratulations for that. Even those ubiquitous professionals don't win even half of the time. Keep on keeping on. I enjoyed reading about the journey.

skh.pcola

Anonymous said...

Sit & go poker tournament, Texas hold'em ... take free Poker sponsorship and play with other poker people - all available $50 bonuses.

Sam said...

I fervently comprehend that the understanding supplied is connected to everyone . Best wishes .
Locksmith in Santa Ana
Norwalk Locksmiths
Locksmith Saratoga
Locksmith Milpitas CA
Locksmith Milpitas CA
Milpitas locksmith
Locksmith Milpitas CA
locksmith aventura
Hialeah FL Locksmith
Locksmith Hialeah FL
pembroke pines locksmith
pembroke pines locksmith
pembroke pines locksmith
pembroke pines locksmith
locksmith fort worth
locksmith miami beach fl
locksmith fort worth tx
miami beach fl locksmith
miami beach fl locksmith
irvine locksmiths
irvine locksmiths
irvine locksmiths
locksmith miami beach fl
locksmith fort worth tx
locksmith miami beach fl

Sam said...

pembroke pines locksmith
locksmith pembroke pines fl
locksmith pembroke pines fl
Locksmith Hampton VA
Locksmith Hampton Hampton Locksmiths
Hampton Locksmith
Hampton Locksmiths
Hampton Locksmith
Locksmith Hampton VA
Hampton Locksmith
Locksmith Westfield NJ
Westfield Locksmith
Locksmith Westfield NJ
Westfield Locksmith
Locksmith Westfield NJ
Westfield Locksmith
Locksmith Westfield NJ
Westfield Locksmith
Westfield Locksmith
Westfield Locksmith