Saturday, June 12, 2010

Day 1 -- $2500 limit six-handed

My third tournament is one of my favorite events, a game I have played countless hours of at home. I am relaxed and ready for the 5 pm start, and pick up K K for my very first hand. After that, unfortunately, it is all downhill for a while and I am very short on chips at the dinner break. Shortly after that I go all in for my last 1100 (out of a starting stack of 7500) in a five-way pot with Q J. The flop comes Q 4 2, turn K, river K, and my hand is good. Just like that I'm back in it, though still quite short. It's a see-saw ride all night long and I am all in many times. At 3 a.m. when we quit, there are 108 players left out of 384 entrants. My 11500 in chips is well short of average, but I am thrilled to finally make a Day 2.

I barely have time to make it before closing time to the Voodoo Lounge, 50 floors up with the best view in Vegas. It's still 85 degrees, with a strong desert breeze. Just as I arrive, they play my current favorite Lady Gaga song, Bad Romance. As I listen to it, staring out at the skyline silhouette of the Strip, I am happy and content with the world.

No comments: