Friday, June 11, 2010

A miserable start

I'm out fairly quickly in my first two tournaments. In the $2000 limit, I lose a little the first hand and never again have as many chips as I started with. I play a little tight the first hour to solidify my impression as a nit, but after that get no cards and my stack gets ground down little by little in a most unsatisfying fashion. In the $1500 Pot Limit Omaha, things go a little better. I last about 6 hours, and have increased my chips about 50%, a little less than average but quite respectable. I pick up As Qs 10s 4c and raise the cutoff limper, bringing the big blind along for the ride. The blop is a beautiful Kc Jh 9c, giving me the best possible hand with redraws to a better hand if a Q or a 10 come. The big blind bets 2500, the limper calls, and I have just enough to make a pot-sized raise to 12000. Both of them call. If I win, I will triple up and be the table leader. But this is Omaha, and flopping the nuts is no guarantee. When the river is the 8c I know at least one of the other two has the flush and before the limper turns it over I am out of my chair and packing up my things. A fun run, and a classic last hand. My mood is not too bad, as I have one more tournament tomorrow to finish up my first trip. Still, it's a long trudge back to the room.

No comments: