Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Finally, off to Vegas!

I look forward to the World Series of Poker all year. The World Series is most inviting a month or so away, when it's easy to dream of life-changing riches and imagine all the fun and adventure. As it approaches, I worry that I might play bad. I worry that I might run bad. And I worry that I will have looked forward to this for many months and that it won’t be any fun, just a grim succession of uninspiring short tournament runs. So I am somewhat gloomy when I wake up on the day of my flight. But when I check my e-mail, I perk up considerably. My good friend Ken, who will join me on my second trip, is scheduled for a colonoscopy today. Hey! I’m going to Vegas and he’s getting a colonoscopy! All of a sudden I’m in a fantastic mood, so good I finally dare open the IRS notice I’ve been ignoring. For once it’s mostly positive news: instead of overcharging me $35,000, they’ve agreed to overcharge me $1000. And just the night before I had my best night online in a couple months. All these are welcome signs that my luck may be changing, but it's been tough for so long I'm still skeptical.

No comments: